Friday, May 23, 2008

2,179 miles

.
Posted by Picasa


OH MY GOSH. My first snow. It happened on May 21, just 11 days after my 6th birthday. I cannot believe I have waited all my life for this, and what happens? Mom puts me on my long line, and I take off into the field. Whoosh. I am sunk down to my hips. I had to hop back to the edge. I always thought snow was white, but this was a little dirty. Mom kept asking me to go potty, but I couldn't figure out where. This was definitely not grass.

My fear of taking care of my business in the snow continued all day. We had more and more snow. When we got to Yellowstone, it was a blizzard, by Texas standards. You can see the stuff on my ears in the photo. Finally, about the third time Mom took me for a walk in it, I made it yellow. No big deal.

Walks in Yellowstone were a bit scary. Right at the edge of our camp, folks had seen a bear that morning. Everyone said I was not to be left outside the RV alone. The Aussie walking back to his RV warned me, in between warm greetings like the poor thing had not seen another dog in weeks.

The next day, when Mom and Dad were driving around the park, I saw buffalo everywhere. Boy did I want a piece of that action. They just wander on the road like they own it, and I want to go right out the windshield. Once, Mom jumped out to photograph some elk walking on the lawn at Mammoth Hotel, and I almost went right out the open window after her. Dad was too quick, or we would have had elk for dinner.

I really like snow now. I sit in it, walk in it and pretty soon I might be rolling in it. I like the wildlife even more. Makes my mouth water.....

No comments: