Wednesday, July 2, 2008

7, 206 miles Yikes, bears!


Mom's friend Miss Debbie is deathly afraid of bears. She will swim with sharks, not a problem. But when it comes to bears, she is sure Mom is going to get mauled.


Well, she is right! This last week in Anchorage (now that's a big city you know) a jogger got bowled over by a mama bear. Then a teenage girl on an all night mountain bike race got mauled in the same area. It's a big park on the edge of the city, and area where bear experts say three major bear trails converge.


The paper is full of nothing but bear news. Who sited what bear where? Sign on and post your findings and photos! Mom went to the botanical garden yesterday, and they had seen a bear that very day. All the docents went home after seeing the bear, leaving the visitors to wander alone in bear country. On our walk today, we saw a sign that said "Bear and two cubs sighted right here!" It was two days ago though, so I could not even get the scent.


On the Russian river, the game warden picked up two yearlings and relocated them. They have taken to chasing people for food.


So who is in the right? The human, or the bear? They both like the same area. Tranquil creek, salmon running in it, nice trail.....who can blame them?


All I can say is, I am SO glad that Mom bought me a bear bell. I don't want to meet a bear, and I don't want to meet a moose either. Moose and dogs don't mix. I'm with you, Miss Debbie! And since I know you will be swimming in Galveston Bay all weekend, please be careful about those sharks!

No comments: