Friday, June 20, 2008

5.973 miles

Posted by Picasa


Mom keeps picking up puppies. I sure hope none of them sticks. This one was at the Iditarod Museum and Headquarters near Willow. Willow has been the restart of the race the last two years as Wassilla was light on snow. The ceremonial start is in Anchorage, but that's hokey, with celebrities and paying passengers. The real thing is the next day. We met the son of the founder of the Iditarod, along with his dogs. His two sons run the race now, and his dad last ran it at age 80. He gave me three booties that his dogs had worn in the Iditarod. (that is one hard word for my paws to keep typing) So now I have one bootie from the Yukon Quest and three from the Iditarod. I feel very special. Next time I start chewing my paws, I will be wearing famous trail booties.

We are in Anchorage now. We moved to an RV park on the Chester Creek Trail. I LOVE the trail. I can walk for miles with no cars. Our other RV park was on too busy a street. Besides, Mom said she wanted to move to a park without permanent occupants whose license plates expired in 1994. Mom and I tried to walk into the little park next door to our former RV Park, but there weren't any trails. Finally, we found the trail that was off leash ok for dogs. Mom said I probably couldn't be trusted. Here by Chester Creek is much better. We just walk down to the creek and start smelling the woods.

In our new park, I am very popular. The people next door used to have a Sammy, and the lady took off with me walking the minute she saw me. Her husband, who is running the Summer Solstice Marathon tomorrow, took me for a little jog. Then another man came by with smoked dog bones for me. His dog has rejected them. I loved it! I gave him kisses his next trip by, and then he brought his dog to meet me. Part Aussie, Part Border Collie. Finally, another lady came by, and she was from El Campo and she came in and talked and talked. Then her husband came in and talked and talked. I am so popular here.

Today Mom and Dad rode their bikes on the Chester Creek Trail. It connects with the coastal trail that goes out by Knik Arm and Turnagain Arm. They said they love the trails and they intend to go again and again. Save a little energy for me, Mom!

They went to the Alaskan Heritage Center today. The natives talk to you and tell you their stories. Most of them are young people, and they know their villages, their clans, their ancestors, their customs, their language. Very interesting. They tell you anything you want to know. The games demonstration was especially interesting. They compete in native games internationally with people from Finland and other midnight sun countries. There are also dances. That's what they do in the winter. Gather in their communal lodged and dance.

I found it pretty boring, because I had to stay in the RV, but I heard some lady had a poodle on the trails. I just hate it when I don't get to go and then another dog does. A poodle too! Not even a real dog.

We saw a moose in a pond on the path to the Heritage Center. I hear there are lots of them in Anchorage. Maybe I will meet one on the path.

No comments: